A variation on a classic Chinese dish from Hunan Province.? Serve with a seasonal, locally grown vegetable like bok choi.
- 2 lbs Tofu Shop firm tofu, drained
- 1 cup sliced green onion
- 2-3 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh garlic, pressed
- 2 tsp fresh turmeric, grated, or 1 tsp dry
- 1/4 cup naturally brewed soy sauce
- 1/4 cup lemon or lime juice, or vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sweetener of choice (optional)
- 2 Tbsp mirin or other cooking wine (optional)
- 2 Tbsp fresh red peppers, or pinch of cayenne (optional)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Slice tofu into four pieces and then into 3 pieces for a total of 12 pieces per pound
- Combine marinade ingredients, except for the oil, in a baking dish sized to fit snugly
- Marinate for 2-4 hours or bake right away
- Add the toasted sesame oil and bake for about 1 hour, turning pieces over halfway through cooking
Makes 8 servings.
Tofu Tip: When marinating tofu, it’s best to add any oil at the end of the marinating, just before cooking, so the flavors can be better absorbedPer serving:? Calories: 164, protein: 14g, carbohydrate: 8g, fat: 8g, fiber: 0g, saturated fat: 2g, cholesterol: 0, sodium: 531mg, calcium: 65mg, magnesium: 11mg. Calories from protein: 34%, carbohydrate: 20%, fat: 46% Recipe developed for Tofu Shop Specialty Foods, Inc. by Linda Redfield, D.C., N.E., W.C.