Tag: Tofu Shop
Thanksgiving is just around the corner. The Tofu Shop wants to share our organic, artisan tofu turkey recipe with you.
This delicious recipe is a seasonal favorite. It was perfected over many years, when it was served to thousands of people at the former East West Center for Natural Health Education in Eureka, California.
Serve with mushroom gravy and fresh cranberry sauce.
Tofu Turkey5 pounds fresh Tofu Shop firm, organic tofu
Homemade Stuffing Seasoning1/4 C sage 2 Tbsp each: marjoram, thyme, savory or rosemary (half the amount if the herb is powdered) 1 Tbsp celery seed 1 tsp black pepper Combine all ingredients
Herbed Bread Stuffing2 Tbsp canola or sesame oil 1 C diced onion 1 C mushrooms, sliced (wild or cultivated) 2 large cloves garlic, pressed 1 Tbsp Homemade Stuffing Seasoning (see above) 1/4 tsp unrefined sea salt 1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari 4 C whole wheat bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes 1/2 C chopped parsley Water
Basting Liquid1/4 C canola or sesame oil 1/4 soy sauce or tamari
1. To prepare tofu turkey, mash it well in a large bowl. Transfer to a large colander lined with cheesecloth. Press down to even out and smooth tofu. Fold edges of cloth over tofu and place a 5-10 lb weight on top for 1 hour (try iron skillets or dumbells)
2. Prepare stuffing by heating oil in a skillet. Saute the vegetables briefly. Add seasonings and 1/4 C water. Simmer for 5 minutes until veggies are soft. Add bread cubes and parsley and stir. Add more water if dry. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
3. Hollow out tofu to within an inch of the colander. Pack in the stuffing, then cover it with the remaining tofu. Pat surface until firm. Oil a baking sheet and flip the tofu onto it and remove the cheesecloth. Mix basting liquid and brush half of it onto the surface. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove foil, baste again, and return to the oven to bake for another hour, until tofu is golden brown. Allow to cool slightly before carving.Per serving: Calories: 232, protein: 18g, carbohydrates: 6g, fat: 14g, fiber: 1g, saturated fat: 2g, cholesterol: 0, sodium: 90mg, calcium: 65mg, magnesium: 11mg, calories from protein: 33%, carbohydrate: 10%, fat: 57%
Recipe developed by Linda Redfield, D.C., N.E., www.holistichealing.com, with Matthew Schmit of the Tofu Shop and Meredith McCarty, www.healingcuisine.com
Here’s a recipe shared with us by a long-time customer. Trying to add variety to your children’s diet? Wish they would eat tofu? This super simple and nutritious recipe is a great way to mask tofu. They’ll never notice.
Try it on toast for a quick breakfast. Also perfect as a snack and on sandwiches.
- 1/2 Tofu Shop Smoked Tofu Spread
- 1/2 Peanut butter (100% peanuts)
Every year the Tofu Shop donates about $1,500 worth of organic tofu products to support the work of local non-profit organizations. We recently made tofu donations to two noteworthy conferences that address the important issue of food justice.
In early November, the California Food and Justice Coalition held its 15th annual national Food Justice Conference in the Bay Area. Over 1,100 people attended.
As we do each year, we are again sponsoring the Eco Farm Conference with a donation. Eco Farm promotes healthy farms, communities and the environment. The 32nd annual conference takes place February 1-4, 2012 in Pacific Grove, CA.
The Tofu Shop is committed to sustainable, healthy food production. We are proud to support food justice work with our 100% organic, artisan, sustainably produced tofu.
The Tofu Shop is very excited to have been featured recently on KEET-TV’s North Coast Cuisine program. Watch the video to see how we make our organic, artisan tofu. The piece showcases the Tofu Shop’s commitment to organic, artisan tofu production. It also highlights our sustainability and waste reduction efforts as a 9-time winner of California’s Waste Reduction Program Award.
Many thanks to KEET-TV!
The Tofu Shop is very pleased to announce that our score on the Organic Soy Scorecard recently jumped from four to five beans, a jump from the rank of “Excellent” to the highest possible tier of “Outstanding”.
In 2009, The Cornucopia Institute, a Wisconsin based advocacy organization, released its study “Behind the Bean: The Heroes and Charlatans of the Natural and Organic Soy Foods Industry.” The report includes an Organic Soy Scorecard that ranks many of the country’s soy foods makers.
The Tofu Shop ranks so high because we use 100% organic ingredients and do all of our production in-house, using organic, non-genetically modified soybeans from North American growers. We were also commended for going the extra mile to use organic, fair-trade cocoa in our chocolate soy milk, for our waste reduction efforts, and for full and open disclosure to Cornucopia’s research inquiries.
The Tofu Shop prides itself on using organic, whole foods ingredients and handcrafting our organic, artisan tofu, soy milks and deli products in small batches with absolutely no possibility of hexane contamination. Recent news stories have uncovered concern about this chemical contamination during soybean processing for corporate so-called “natural” soy foods producers.