Tofu Shop has been an advocate and practitioner of sustainable food production since our founding in 1977. We approach the goal of long-term sustainability as a vibrant, interdependent relationship among:
- Our natural environment
- Our role as a processor of natural food ingredients
- The customers and communities we serve
Sustaining our natural environment
It behooves us, as a user of natural resources (raw food ingredients), to insure that our use does not deplete or despoil the source of these resources.
Our role as a sustainable food processor
- Certified organic processor – we use only ingredients that are grown and processed without environmentally harmful pesticides, herbicides, sewage sludge, irradiation, or genetically-modified organisms (GMOs).
- Local producer – we source locally-produced ingredients when possible and purchase other raw ingredients in bulk quantities to limit the environmental costs of transporting finished goods into our remote region.
- Waste reducer – we work hard to limit the waste we generate and currently divert over 99% from landfills.
- Conscious employer – we’re committed to providing a right and stimulating livelihood for our employees and a safe, clean facility in which to work
Sustaining our customers and community
Our mission is to provide nutritious, organic, locally-made food for our customers and to partner with local and regional groups working for the long term health and well-being of our community.
Outstanding rating by the Cornucopia Institute
Underscoring our commitment, we received a 5 out of 5 bean rating by the Cornucopia Institute in its 2009 report, “Behind the Bean: The Heroes and Charlatans of the Natural and Organic Soy Foods Industry”. We were ranked high on the following:
- organic certification by California Certified Organic Farmers (CCOF)
- 100% organic soybeans
- domestically sourced soybeans
- 100% organic herbs, spices, and other ingredients used for flavor
- all manufacturing done in-house
- full and open disclosure
- no use of soy lecithin
The following are some of our local partners in sustainable food production efforts.
- Community Alliance with Family Farmers (CAFF)
- Humboldt Made
- Northcoast Growers Association
- North Coast Co-op
Other recommended links