Thanksgiving is just around the corner. The Tofu Shop wants to share our organic, artisan tofu turkey recipe with you.
This delicious recipe is a seasonal favorite. It was perfected over many years, when it was served to thousands of people at the former East West Center for Natural Health Education in Eureka, California.
Serve with mushroom gravy and fresh cranberry sauce.
Tofu Turkey5 pounds fresh Tofu Shop firm, organic tofu
Homemade Stuffing Seasoning1/4 C sage 2 Tbsp each: marjoram, thyme, savory or rosemary (half the amount if the herb is powdered) 1 Tbsp celery seed 1 tsp black pepper Combine all ingredients
Herbed Bread Stuffing2 Tbsp canola or sesame oil 1 C diced onion 1 C mushrooms, sliced (wild or cultivated) 2 large cloves garlic, pressed 1 Tbsp Homemade Stuffing Seasoning (see above) 1/4 tsp unrefined sea salt 1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari 4 C whole wheat bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes 1/2 C chopped parsley Water
Basting Liquid1/4 C canola or sesame oil 1/4 soy sauce or tamari
1. To prepare tofu turkey, mash it well in a large bowl. Transfer to a large colander lined with cheesecloth. Press down to even out and smooth tofu. Fold edges of cloth over tofu and place a 5-10 lb weight on top for 1 hour (try iron skillets or dumbells)
2. Prepare stuffing by heating oil in a skillet. Saute the vegetables briefly. Add seasonings and 1/4 C water. Simmer for 5 minutes until veggies are soft. Add bread cubes and parsley and stir. Add more water if dry. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
3. Hollow out tofu to within an inch of the colander. Pack in the stuffing, then cover it with the remaining tofu. Pat surface until firm. Oil a baking sheet and flip the tofu onto it and remove the cheesecloth. Mix basting liquid and brush half of it onto the surface. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove foil, baste again, and return to the oven to bake for another hour, until tofu is golden brown. Allow to cool slightly before carving.Per serving: Calories: 232, protein: 18g, carbohydrates: 6g, fat: 14g, fiber: 1g, saturated fat: 2g, cholesterol: 0, sodium: 90mg, calcium: 65mg, magnesium: 11mg, calories from protein: 33%, carbohydrate: 10%, fat: 57%
Recipe developed by Linda Redfield, D.C., N.E., www.holistichealing.com, with Matthew Schmit of the Tofu Shop and Meredith McCarty, www.healingcuisine.com
Here’s a recipe shared with us by a long-time customer. Trying to add variety to your children’s diet? Wish they would eat tofu? This super simple and nutritious recipe is a great way to mask tofu. They’ll never notice.
Try it on toast for a quick breakfast. Also perfect as a snack and on sandwiches.
- 1/2 Tofu Shop Smoked Tofu Spread
- 1/2 Peanut butter (100% peanuts)
A variation on a classic Chinese dish from Hunan Province. Serve with a seasonal, locally grown vegetable like bok choi.
- 2 lbs Tofu Shop firm tofu, drained
- 1 cup sliced green onion
- 2-3 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh garlic, pressed
- 2 tsp fresh turmeric, grated, or 1 tsp dry
- 1/4 cup naturally brewed soy sauce
- 1/4 cup lemon or lime juice, or vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sweetener of choice (optional)
- 2 Tbsp mirin or other cooking wine (optional)
- 2 Tbsp fresh red peppers, or pinch of cayenne (optional)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Slice tofu into four pieces and then into 3 pieces for a total of 12 pieces per pound
- Combine marinade ingredients, except for the oil, in a baking dish sized to fit snugly
- Marinate for 2-4 hours or bake right away
- Add the toasted sesame oil and bake for about 1 hour, turning pieces over halfway through cooking
Makes 8 servings.
Tofu Tip: When marinating tofu, it’s best to add any oil at the end of the marinating, just before cooking, so the flavors can be better absorbedPer serving: Calories: 164, protein: 14g, carbohydrate: 8g, fat: 8g, fiber: 0g, saturated fat: 2g, cholesterol: 0, sodium: 531mg, calcium: 65mg, magnesium: 11mg. Calories from protein: 34%, carbohydrate: 20%, fat: 46% Recipe developed for Tofu Shop Specialty Foods, Inc. by Linda Redfield, D.C., N.E., W.C.
The flavors in this dressing sparkle. Use it on salad or as a dip.
- 1/2 cup Tofu Shop regular tofu
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp sweet white miso
- 2 tsp pressed garlic
- 2 tsp grated ginger root
- 2 tsp umeboshi paste
- sweetener to taste
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup water (approximately)
Puree all ingredients except water and oil in a blender until smooth and creamy. With the blender running, slowly add the oil until mixture thickens. Adjust consistency with the water. Makes 1 1/2 cups.Per serving: Calories: 98, protein: 1g, carbohydrate: 2g, fat: 10g, fiber: 0g, saturated fat: 1g, cholesterol: 0, sodium: 232mg, calcium: 17mg, magnesium: 11mg Recipe developed for Tofu Shop Specialty Foods, Inc. by Linda Redfield, D.C., N.E., W.C.
- 2 blocks tofu
- approximately 3/4 cup sweetener of choice
- 1/2 cup oil
- 5 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs vanilla
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 small pie crust
Blend ingredients until smooth and creamy. Pour blend into pie crust and bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until golden. Chill before serving. Top with Sweet & Creamy Topping (recipe follows) and/or fruit of choice.
Sweet & Creamy Topping (adapted from Tofu Cookery by Louise Hagler)
- 1/2 lb tofu
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup confectionerâ€™s sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth and creamy. Chill and serve like whipped cream.