Thanksgiving is just around the corner. The Tofu Shop wants to share our organic, artisan tofu turkey recipe with you.
This delicious recipe is a seasonal favorite. It was perfected over many years, when it was served to thousands of people at the former East West Center for Natural Health Education in Eureka, California.
Serve with mushroom gravy and fresh cranberry sauce.
Tofu Turkey5 pounds fresh Tofu Shop firm, organic tofu
Homemade Stuffing Seasoning1/4 C sage 2 Tbsp each: marjoram, thyme, savory or rosemary (half the amount if the herb is powdered) 1 Tbsp celery seed 1 tsp black pepper Combine all ingredients
Herbed Bread Stuffing2 Tbsp canola or sesame oil 1 C diced onion 1 C mushrooms, sliced (wild or cultivated) 2 large cloves garlic, pressed 1 Tbsp Homemade Stuffing Seasoning (see above) 1/4 tsp unrefined sea salt 1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari 4 C whole wheat bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes 1/2 C chopped parsley Water
Basting Liquid1/4 C canola or sesame oil 1/4 soy sauce or tamari
1. To prepare tofu turkey, mash it well in a large bowl. Transfer to a large colander lined with cheesecloth. Press down to even out and smooth tofu. Fold edges of cloth over tofu and place a 5-10 lb weight on top for 1 hour (try iron skillets or dumbells)
2. Prepare stuffing by heating oil in a skillet. Saute the vegetables briefly. Add seasonings and 1/4 C water. Simmer for 5 minutes until veggies are soft. Add bread cubes and parsley and stir. Add more water if dry. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
3. Hollow out tofu to within an inch of the colander. Pack in the stuffing, then cover it with the remaining tofu. Pat surface until firm. Oil a baking sheet and flip the tofu onto it and remove the cheesecloth. Mix basting liquid and brush half of it onto the surface. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove foil, baste again, and return to the oven to bake for another hour, until tofu is golden brown. Allow to cool slightly before carving.Per serving: Calories: 232, protein: 18g, carbohydrates: 6g, fat: 14g, fiber: 1g, saturated fat: 2g, cholesterol: 0, sodium: 90mg, calcium: 65mg, magnesium: 11mg, calories from protein: 33%, carbohydrate: 10%, fat: 57%
Recipe developed by Linda Redfield, D.C., N.E., www.holistichealing.com, with Matthew Schmit of the Tofu Shop and Meredith McCarty, www.healingcuisine.com
Somewhere in Humboldt are some shocked thieves (or some happy vegetarians) who came by pounds of organic, fresh tofu and gallons of soy milk by robbing The Tofu Shop’s delivery van.
In the five minutes it took our driver to use the restroom at Little River State Park at Clam Beach, someone helped themselves to buckets of bulk tofu and coolers full of soy milk.
Let us know if you see any happy and healthy barbecuers grilling organic tofu on Clam Beach. And beware leaving vegetarian picnic items unattended.
The Tofu Shop recently partnered with Natural Decadence Bakeryto supply organic, silken tofu for their delicious gluten-free pies.
Natural Decadence is a gluten-free bakery in Humboldt County. Find their products locally at the North Coast Coops, Eureka Natural Foods, and Wildberries Marketplace. Find them throughout Northern California in 25 Whole Foods Markets.
Their Chocolate Cream-less and Lemon Meringue-less pies are now made with Tofu Shop organic silken tofu.
It’s our first foray into making silken tofu. We’re excited about the quality and hope to make it available to others interested in organic, artisan silken tofu.
Here’s a recipe shared with us by a long-time customer. Trying to add variety to your children’s diet? Wish they would eat tofu? This super simple and nutritious recipe is a great way to mask tofu. They’ll never notice.
Try it on toast for a quick breakfast. Also perfect as a snack and on sandwiches.
- 1/2 Tofu Shop Smoked Tofu Spread
- 1/2 Peanut butter (100% peanuts)
Every year the Tofu Shop donates about $1,500 worth of organic tofu products to support the work of local non-profit organizations. We recently made tofu donations to two noteworthy conferences that address the important issue of food justice.
In early November, the California Food and Justice Coalition held its 15th annual national Food Justice Conference in the Bay Area. Over 1,100 people attended.
As we do each year, we are again sponsoring the Eco Farm Conference with a donation. Eco Farm promotes healthy farms, communities and the environment. The 32nd annual conference takes place February 1-4, 2012 in Pacific Grove, CA.
The Tofu Shop is committed to sustainable, healthy food production. We are proud to support food justice work with our 100% organic, artisan, sustainably produced tofu.